Sunday School Lesson Outlines
Strive To Be Like Jesus
We know we'll never achieve this, as Jesus was the perfect man - so why try or at least, why try so hard?
1. God sent us Jesus for many reasons. One was to be the example we need to follow. The Bible tells us to strive to be like Him. There are many reasons; other than being told too.
2. When we are doing so (striving to be like Jesus) we are spending more time with Him.
- A daughter who wants to be like her mother spends time with her learning how to cook, bake, sew,etc. A son wanting to be like his father will spend time with his father learning sports, fishing, work ethics, how to take provide for a family, etc.
- The whole time we are spending time with parents (role models) we are also picking up on how they respond to trials, hardships, hurt feelings, betrayal, forgiveness, how a marriage works, etc. All the give and take that goes into a friendship or marriage or any relationship is learned just by spending time with that role model and enjoying wonderful fellowship.
- Just a Jesus is our role model - parents and other adults are the role models of our children. Make sure there are several in your child's life.
3. The more time you think about how to be like Jesus - the less time you have to think about the things you ought not to be.
- Bitterness, temptation, anger; the little things that sneak in our lives little by little when we let our guard down. Satan is a master at this - if he can distract you he can lure you away to be ineffective.
- Focusing on being more like Jesus, often throughout the day, is a great way to keep your guard up.
4. One of the important reasons to strive to be more like Jesus is the example others see. Others want what you have. Joy. Peace. Love. A Contagious Smile. These are ways we grow the kingdom! One by one. It's not always a dynamic preacher or a revival.
- Sometimes it's as simple as someone noticing your joy, how you react to criticism and / or seeing how you love unconditionally or give without wanting to be noticed. When others want what you have you have either planted a seed, watered a seed, or helped in the harvesting of a seed.
- Other times you may not even know you were a part of someone coming to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. You might not know how you impact a person's life - but wouldn't you want it to be the way Jesus did!
Those are some pretty good reasons to keep trying to be like Jesus!
Created By Julie Robinson
Return to the Sunday