Prayer Ministry Guide
Prayer ministry isn't limited to altar calls. God ordains situations we find ourselves in as we go about daily life. We are provided opportunities to speak into and encourage the people God has brought into our lives.
Simple questions may initiate a meaningful discussion both during an altar call and daily living:
- How may I pray for you today?
- What challenges are you facing?
- How are your children?
During times of prayer ministry, focus on the root cause of the person's present day struggles and challenges. Through prayer, restoration may occur.
Examples of root causes are:
- Feeling depleted
- Generational curses
- Seeking Revenge
Gifts of the Spirit which are evident in prayer ministry:
- Words of knowledge
During prayer ministry the Holy Spirit may speak in a personal way to the candidate soliciting prayer. This may be through a prayer ministry partner or to the individual directly.
Words of knowledge and prophecy come in a number of forms:
- An idea
- A picture in your mind's "eye"
- A thought
- Bible verses addressing the theme of the prayer
- Praise and worship song
- Through Feelings
During times of prayer ministry it is important to focus on the Holy Spirit's leading. This will truly address the needs of the candidate seeking prayer ministry support for their life. The Holy Spirit will guide the prayer if given the opportunity to do so. Each prayer ministry session will be unique to the needs of the candidate. This includes the Holy Spirit inspiring the candidate seeking prayer directly and allowing the candidate to pray.
It is also beneficial during the time of prayer ministry to pause from praying and talk about how the prayer is going and the direction it should be in. The candidate may provide insight into this through memories the Lord has caused to surface or through words of knowledge and prophecy.
How to test and confirm if God spoke to you through a prayer ministry partner:
Pray for confirmation.
- The Lord will directly confirm His direction for your life as you earnestly seek this.
Observe the "fruit" in the life of the person who has spoken God's Word to you.
- A God honouring individual will be an agent delivering God's Words as an extension of their personal relationship to the Lord Jesus Christ.
Write down words of knowledge and prophetic words given to you.
- Not all words spoken to you immediately affect your situation. Some guide us in our decision making during a season of preparation. Making a written account puts words of knowledge and prophetic words to the test of time.
There is a bond of unity in the Holy Spirit.
- Words given that have their origin from the Holy Spirit will line up with the Holy Bible.
General guidelines for Prayer Ministry:
Do not be offended by a person's method of prayer.
- We interact with our Lord and Saviour based on our personality and life experience.
God measures the sincerity of the heart.
- Words of knowledge or prophecy aren't required for the Lord to hear your petitions.
Pray with the expectation of God answering.
- This will happen in God's way and in God's timing.
Allow yourself to be used of God.
- The Holy Spirit may burden you to offer additional support following prayer to provide for the needs of the prayer ministry candidate.
Those who are seeking more of the Lord in their life face a pruning process.
- The support of another believer during this process is priceless. As a prayer ministry partner, don't triangulate yourself with the candidate's relationship with Jesus Christ. Instead offer support, such as a coach on the sidelines of a football field.
Types of Prayer:
- Speaking under the authority of Jesus Christ for such purposes as breaking a bondage or curse.
- Believing God for the burdens He has given you.
- Bringing your needs to God the Father through Jesus Christ.
Speaking in Faith
- Proclaiming God's blessings through your relationship with Jesus or taking authority over sickness.