We all need it. Yes, even men look for comfort. Children need and search for comfort. Women look for comfort. Christians, non Christians, the over burdened, widows, single mothers, teenagers, the elderly etc. There is no way to know who, except this - we ALL look for, have a need for, want, and desire comfort.
God never promised us that we wouldn't have any trouble, grief, unfairness, disease, poverty, etc., while we are passing through this life.
- Psalms 46:1-3 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. (NASB)
- Psalms 46:7 The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold. (NASB)
- He does promise to always be there. In our path that may lead to hurt, pain, or make us stumble; it appears He sees a lot of things. Remember He knows the end of the story!
- Psalms 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me; Thou wilt stretch forth Thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, And Thy right hand will save me. (NASB)
- Psalms 18:2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (NASB)
- Did you put on your armor of God?
He is always willing to pick us up and crush our enemies, but are we living a Godly life so we know where to reach for his hand? Sometimes, you've heard it said, He gives us over to our sin. That's when we just won't stop - we repent and do it again and again. If He turns us over to our sin, and we ask for His help one final time (and he knows your heart); everyone will see when you come back to the fold that your belief has been restored, and their faith strengthens.
- Psalms 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the afflication of the afflicted; Neither has He hidden His face from him; But when he cried to Him for help, He heard. (NASB)
- Wow! He's like the energizer bunny - he just keeps giving and giving and giving. Even if He is not received, He still listens and waits. What an amazing, loving God!
- Psalms 37:24 When he falls, he shall not be hurdled headlong; Because the Lord is the One who holds his hand (NASB)
- Comfort and Trust!
Similar to a parent - He holds our hand when we enter into dangerous situations. We will encounter lots of obstacles & struggles in life, but God will be always be there to comfort us and hold us up.
- Isaiah 66:13 "As one whom his mother oomforts, so I will comfort you ..." (NASB)
- God often tries to prepare us that bad things will happen to good people. He reminds us to hold on tight to him, because when it's all over I (God) will win.
- John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." (NASB)
Anything we look for here on earth to comfort us (spouse, better job, status, etc) will in no way comfort us like our Lord; nor endure like Him. Those of us that suffer everyday medically, being jobless, divorced, losing a child or any other tragedy you may face; can take great comfort in.
- Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (NASB)
It's kind of like the small boy who really wanted to go fishing. His parents said no, they were too busy today. He pouted, cried and said the "why me", "it isn't fair". Dad always took him fishing before! The boy went upstairs and stayed mad all day. When the doorbell rang it was all his friends and family coming a week early to surprise him for his birthday!!! (much better than fishing)!! There was cake and ice cream, presents, games, laughter, friendship - but most of all the knowing that someone took the time to plan it, fix it, keep it a secret, etc.... All thoughts were on him and he didn't even know it. (he just assumed no one cared because that's the way it appeared).
Take comfort in knowing what's coming is far more greater than any one thing you could hope for.
- Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord: Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord. (NASB)
Created By Julie Robindon
Return to the Sunday School Lesson Outlines Index